Wednesday, June 2, 2010

TWM: Piper's Prayer

Although I have finished the first chapter in Voices of the True Woman Movement, which was written by John Piper, I think it is fitting to start with Piper's prayer for women that can be found in the appendix. If you have ever heard Piper pray, you know the power of his words encourages you to think in terms of God's glory in all areas of your life, and he does the same in this written prayer.

His prayer encompasses all aspects of womanhood. He asks that we be women of the Book and women of prayer, that we grasp God's sovereign grace, and that we fulfill our God-given roles, be it in singleness, marriage, or motherhood, for the glory of God. Up until that point in the prayer, the content seems to be typical for a prayer concerning women, unless of course you understand the comprehensive effects of God's sovereignty. But, then he asks that women not believe secular employment is more significant than the call to service in the home and ministry in general. Having only read the first chapter, I don't know if the book will have a specific call to encourage women to be homemakers, but I pray that we all see our primary duty to our husbands and children, instead of financial gain.

What most struck me most was the portion on planning for ministry in each chapter of life. Sometimes I get bogged down in being a mother of small children, cleaning marker off the wall and poop off the floor, which accidentally got tracked through the house, and I forget that "finite life is a series of trade-offs." The grass will never be greener. As someone told me the other day: the grass is brown on both sides of the fence. Yet, I am called to minister where I am, and what greater ministry than to disciple my children, showing them the sacrificial love of Christ who is ever patient with us and who provided for us what we could not provide for ourselves. And, even though I will never perfect imaging Christ, that too will allow me to teach them that like me they need a Savior to stand in their place.

Another Piper-esque comment was concerning the wartime lifestyle. Some would be taken back by Piper's continual call in his preaching and writing to give "it" up for the sake of the kingdom, and here he prays that women will give up nicer "whatever" because " it is a "poor and dangerous substitute for the goals of living for Christ." When souls are at stake, who needs a bigger house or a better wardrobe. I have read Don't Waste Your Life, and it really inspired me to live this wartime lifestyle - for a little while. I only pray now that the Lord will renew a passion within me for the lost and stomp out my desires for "better." Envy is a real sin in my life, but when I look at what the Lord has to offer in eternity, oh, what I should be willing and happy to forfeit in this life.

I pray that you too will live for the glory of God wherever you may be and that you may exalt Him as a you live out the life of a true woman.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

OK Cassie I am really wanting to read that prayer from Piper now!! Thank you for sharing from your heart!