Wednesday, June 9, 2010

TWM: Don't Be a Wimpy Woman

I read the first chapter in Voices of the True Woman Movement last week, but it has taken me this long to sit down to write a post. As always, I'm sure the Lord was working for His good in this situation; perhaps He was trying to prevent me from being too longwinded.

In the first chapter, Piper addresses the "ultimate meaning of true womanhood," and he starts with the idea that "wimpy theology makes wimpy women." When he says wimpy, he is not referring to someone who is physically weak or even overly dainty, but to the inability to withstand the trials of life. He lists several examples of true woman, ranging from a woman imprisoned for her faith to two women dealing with disabilities, and each of these women rejoiced in the Lord's sovereign goodness and mercy despite their "tragic" circumstances. One even said, ""I now see that my worst suffering is sin...'"

Personally, I don't feel that I have wimpy theology. I do believe God is in control of everything, and He is working it all for His glory. I do believe I don't deserve anything, that there is nothing good in and of myself apart from Christ. I do believe treasures in heaven will far exceed treasures on earth. I do believe I have to be willing to take up my cross. But, I DO have trouble really believing my strong theology. A lot of times there is a disconnect between my head knowledge and my heart and actions. Sometimes I want to scream, "God, why me? Why won't the baby stop screaming? Why do everyone else's children sleep through the night?" Sometimes I want to one-up someone else, think of the best costume for the kids or throw the best birthday party. Sometimes I want a big house, a new outfit, and better hair, too. Sometimes I would rather not prepare for company, much less carry a cross. That is why I must preach the Gospel to myself everyday. I have a Savior who is what I can't be, who died for me and gave me a new life, and while I may not know today what He is making me, one day I will see Him and I will be like Him (1 John 3:2). It is all about faith, believing in the unseen, believing the Word.

Piper goes on to examine what makes a strong theology - believing the God-centered purpose for all things, most clearly displayed in God's Son dying for His bride, a sinful, rebellious people. Many of us don't realize that in eternity past God decided to make male and female to show the relationship between Christ and the church. It wasn't an afterthought. Married women should display an understanding of headship and submission, allowing their husbands to act as a servant-leader in the home and submitting to his authority, thus imaging forth "the glory of the sacrificial love of Christ for His bride." While marriage was ordained to be a picture of Christ and the church, singles are still called to display the glory of God. Piper lists three ways this is to be done: 1- showing the family of God grows by regeneration through faith, not procreation, 2- showing a relationship with Christ is more permanent that with a spouse, and 3- showing that marriage is temporary, only pointer to Christ and the church. All is to be for the glory of God.

I assume the rest of the book will discuss these specific calls to women more in depth, and I look forward to be confronted with how I can better submit to my husband and enjoy my role as a woman.

Wherever we may be and whatever we may do let it be for God's glory alone.




1 comment:

Ashley & Chuck said...

I often have the disconnect between head knowledge and heart knowledge too. I think it is something a lot of people struggle with. It takes a lot of faith for the two to connect. Chuck and I have talked about this before, in that it seems easier to rely fully on God when you have something "tragic" happen in your life. But it is the everyday mundane things that really prove your faith in a sovereign God. How you submit to your husband, treat your children, and your attitude in serving in your home can get the best of you sometimes.