Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Josiah Crook Langford - First Days

Yes, Josiah has been here three months, but being without internet prevented me from posting any pictures or comments. So, here goes...

I was given the choice of being induced on the 23rd of November, but I chose against it because I wanted to experience going into labor after being induced with the other two. It didn't matter though. I went into labor a little after 1 am. Rusty and I timed contractions for an hour. They started 8 minutes apart, but after trying to get Caleigh back to sleep and waiting on Mandy to come watch the kids, they were about 3 minutes apart by the time we reached the hospital at a little after 3 am.

I chose to have an epidural, though I had contemplated going natural after my experience with Elisha. I guess, I'm not that much of a woman. By the time I arrived at the hospital, I remembered how bad it hurt and wasn't ready to do it again. Rusty, my mom, my sister, and my mother-in-law were in the room for the delivery, and my John-John, brother, and father-in-law were waiting outside. When I was ready to push, they thought he would pop right out, but come to find out, he was face up, so Dr. Child's had to go in and flip him. Then, he came on out at 6:47 am, 20 and 1/4 inches, weighing 7 and a half pounds. He had a Langford mouth and a dent at the top of his nose. His eyes looked more like Caleigh's. He seemed great, but the nurse said his heartbeat was irregular. They had to take him to the NICU for an hour or so, but when they brought him back, they said he was fine. It must have been from the trauma of delivery.

We had considered a billion names, but we didn't finally decide his name until after the delivery. Josiah comes from the young king in the Bible, and Crook, as odd as it sounds, is Rusty's mom's maiden name, which no one will carry on. And, no, it doesn't mean "thief." It refers to the crook in a shepherd's staff, and isn't that a wonderful image - Jesus pulling us back to Himself in His loving correction?

We chose to stay in the hospital only one night. (We were slightly worried about the possessed television that kept coming on every time the intercom was used.) We hoped to get some rest at home, without interruption, which was only possible because Caleigh and Elisha were staying with grandparents.

What can I say, the whole experience was a lot less stressful than those before it. It wasn't the first time and the epidural did work. Maybe 3's the charm....We're so blessed!
New Baby

First moments with Caleigh and Elisha

A Family Picture

Getting ready to head home

On the way home





No comments: