Friday, June 6, 2008

Almost Two Months with Elisha

Elisha really didn't like his first bottle.  Rusty gave it to him, and he cried.  He basically had to squeeze it in his mouth to get him to take it.  He is so different than Caleigh.  She guzzled her first bottle and never thought anything about it being different.  

Elisha wearing his boat outfit on his second trip to church

Wearing his train outfit

Elisha sleeping.  Yes, this does happen sometimes, and isn't it ever so sweet?  Poor Elisha, as we often refer to him, has reflux and "colic." He does more than spit. Sometimes he projects it across the room.  He also has bouts of crying, starting from the time he finishes eating until he almost passes out from exhaustion.  I have to put him in my lap and hold his head and rock him back and forth until he throws up.  The doctor said he'll grow out it and that I'm doing everything I possibly can, but that doesn't stop the advice from flowing in. Most often I hear that I need to feed him more because he spits up so much, even though I'm not suppose to feed him in less than three hours so him stomach has time to recuperate from the last feeding. He also weighed over ten pounds at his one month check-up.  I don't think he's starving.  I never really believed in, or understood, colic, but it is real, though Elisha's isn't as bad as it could be.  He is Babywised, Secrets of the Baby Whipsered, and Dunstan Baby Languaged, but none of those have helped him.  I can't imagine how bad it would be if I was not "educated."  Honestly, if he didn't have bellyaches, I would say he is much better at going to sleep than Caleigh was.  Please pray for me.  This is very trying.  Rusty just reminds me that it is for my sanctification.   

Caleigh and Elisha before church

Elisha's first time in the Bumbo at seven weeks

Caleigh is still a mess.  The state of her face in this picture only represents the state of her behavior on a daily basis.  Most recently, she has colored the Bumbo, put chalk on the van, squirted diswashing detergent on her play dishes, which were on the couch, and stuck brother's diapers all over the playpen.  Yes, she is a mess.  Sometimes we just laugh.  Sometimes she gets a spanking.  And, most of the time we just wonder how she does it. 

Hopefully, Elisha will survive.  Here she is putting her hand over his mouth.  She loves throwing cold rags on him and wiping his spit roughly with his burp clothes.  She has also dropped her juice on his head and hit him with a battery.  The juice was an accident, but the battery wasn't.

Elisha's First Bath

Elisha's First Trip to Church
(These pictures are a little out of order.)

2 comments:

Ashley & Chuck said...

My goodness! A lot is going on in the Langford household! Ashley and I will be praying for Elisha's colic and reflux. I, too, have reflux and know how much it hurts. The doctors tell me it is because of my diet (greasy foods and coffee) and that I need to lose weight. So, here's my advice: have Elisha cut back on coffee and put him on a diet and exercise regimen to lose weight. HA!

I wish we could come see you guys in the near future. We miss ya'll!

Chuck

Ryan and Lori said...

Cassie, I was wondering when you were ever going to post again, but after reading the post, I see that you have been very busy!! Elisa sure is a cutie. I'm sure he will survive living with Caleigh; she is a trip! I know you said you are getting a lot of advice, so I thought I would give you some too. I recently completed some clinicals with my brother (pediatrician) and he prescribes prilosec or zantac for babies with reflux that experience pain with vomiting. Maybe you could ask about that at your next visit. We will be praying for you!